Abigail knows from experience that the SENCO role is a strategic one…but one in which the individual concerned spends a lot of time putting out the current fires before they can consider the future.
Abigail Hawkins was a SENDCO for over 20 years of her teaching career. With experience across the whole age range (from 2 years to adults) and across a wide variety of settings and subjects, she is well placed to provide SEN advice for SENDCOs who have simply run out of ideas/juice! Whether you need a shoulder to cry on, a sympathetic ear, support with processes or paperwork, planning for the future, or fighting the current fire, Abigail can provide the advice and support you need to succeed in your role.
Abigail couldn’t leave the classroom behind. Alongside her consultancy work for Edukey she
The Numbers Don’t Lie
Abigail’s customers all provide feedback on her work and to
SENDCO Solutions – SEN Consutancy
A bit about me
SENDCO & DSL, Education Consultant – Director
What I Do Best
the supportive bit
* Support in a difficult meeting
* Suggesting ways forward for interventions (groups or individuals)
* Establishing departmental procedures
* Firefighting – the call is imminent what do we need to do first?
* Strategic planning – what do we want to achieve, by when and how can we do it?
the teaching bit
* Staff training
* Conferences, Workshops and Key Note presentations
* Working with companies to ensure their products meet the needs of SENCOs and taking those products into school to produce research evidence
The honest answer is I’ll turn my hand to pretty much anything!
I’m a SENDCO at heart…too many years in the role and in the classroom. And far too many years where the word, “no” was too far from my vocabulary.
I will help you with any SEN related issue, anything from a safeguarding perspective, EAL programmes of work, LAC reviews/interventions and evidencing or PP support. And the thing most SENDCOs seem to hate – data crunching!!!
What I won’t do? Lie to you if I think something isn’t right, provide you with a sticking plaster for a cut artery, fight your battles with staff (although I’ll guide you through it), paint a rosy picture for governors/SLT and parents if it isn’t a rosy picture!
The Administrative bits
* Getting the JCQ exam concessions completed and submitted
* Guidance writing learning plans and targets
* Assistance writing EHC requests and bids for Top Up funding
The long-term bit
* Suggesting software solutions for your Learning Plans, Provision Mapping, Literacy Assessment, Behaviour tracking, Safeguarding etc.
The research bits
* Research and advice for you based on your needs/requirements
* Creating a staff SEN library